Thursday, August 4, 2011

Stain, Stain, Go Away!

Ok so now I've stained my arms, my legs, my face, and my hands all the way under the nails, TWICE.  I'm still not done with the staining.  The results are fantastic although some areas of the trailer don't photograph as well as others.





























As you can see I still need to do the ceiling and some various odds and ends.

The best part was the aluminum threshold that we found to use for trim.  See the photos below.  Looks great, right?  I was really pleased because the cost was very affordable something you don't hear much with vintage trailer renovation.



5 comments:

  1. Your Shasta is looking great!!!!!! So happy that the tree didn't fall on anything or anyone! Your staining looks beautiful.....I also appreciate the photo of the hinged bunk. I desperately want to add one to my '63 Airflyte that currently has the 3 poles with canvas (basically just a place to store bedding..not comfortable even for a small child). Was that bunk custom? Any info you can give on the process, brackets, etc...would be very appreciated!
    I'll be stalking! ; )

    Sharon
    sharon_ilstrup@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharon,
    I would be happy to post a "how-to" on the bunk assembly.

    We cheated and had the folks at Lowe's cut the plywood at the store on their machine. Once at home it was a simple assembly of piano hinges and voila it was done.

    Very possibly the simplest rebuild of the entire project. I will have my husband draw the plans including dimensions out on paper and I will post to this blog for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Stacy! THANK YOU!!! I would absolutely appreciate that!

    I'm thrilled to know it was simple...but maybe that's being compared to some very complicated projects. ; )

    Thanks again!

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice and well thought out work! You've restored the trailer to better then new condition from my perspective. I am currently working on 1 59 Deville and have a question on the Poly coating for the interior wood work. Did you use the water based poly or oil based poly? Thanks.
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jim!

      We agree....it is lots better with the old meets new.

      The poly was water-based and we sprayed it on with a harbor freight brand automotive paint sprayer. It went on well and clean-up was a breeze.

      Delete